Senior Researcher in Bacterial Biotechnology and Ecology
We are seeking a talented, experienced, innovative and highly motivated senior researcher
The Department of Biotechnology and Biomedicine (DTU Bioengineering) is seeking a talented, experienced, innovative and highly motivated senior researcher in bacterial biotechnology and ecology. The candidate should be an experienced scientist with a strong background in bacterial ecology, molecular biology and biotechnology. The position will be anchored in the Microbial and Chemical Ecology (MCE) section.
The MCE section Ecology section studies and uses microorganisms and microbiomes with desirable properties such as probiotic activity, production of bioactive secondary metabolites, pigments or degradative enzymes. Also, we explore microorganisms in bioremediation and for biocontrol purposes. The section applies basic insight into natural microbial habitats and exploit physiological, metabolic and functional diversity to combat pathogenic or toxic microorganisms and to engineer microbiomes for biotechnological use. The section hosts the Metabolomics Platform and the Center of Excellence, Center of Microbial Secondary Metabolites.
Responsibilities and tasks
Your research area will focus on using especially marine bacteria (microbiomes) for biotechnological purposes, e.g. bioremediation, probiotics or as sources of novel bioactive compounds. Development of new state-of-the art approaches to exploit the marine bacterial world will be done in close collaboration with the Bacterial Ecophysiology and Biotechnology group at the department. Next to the development of science, you will also take part in managerial tasks both at group and section level. Teaching (lectures, project supervision) is also part of your job. These three areas will be weighted at approx. 1/3 each.
- hold a PhD degree (or equivalent), as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding a position as a researcher or postdoc.
- document didactic/pedagogic training and enjoy teaching
Collaboration with other departments and centers at DTU will be a natural part of the work, and you are expected to build collaboration also with industrial partners and other universities
Our preferred candidate has the following personal and professional qualifications:
- You hold a PhD in marine microbiology, preferably with both an ecological and molecular angle
- You are experienced in exploiting (marine) bacterial strains for biotech related purposes including their isolation and bioassay-guided assessment in the laboratory and sequence-based in silico analyses of their genomes and proteins
- You have basic bioinformatics skills and are able to conduct basic analysis tasks using Python and Docker
- You have a deep knowledge of marine microbial ecology
- You have a broad multidisciplinary background also covering enzyme biochemistry, small molecule chemistry and bioinformatics
- You have experience in directing your own scientific research and supervising projects
- You are able to prioritize work and work efficiently with a minimum of supervision
- You are fluent in English oral and written communication
- You have good organizational, managerial, and interpersonal skills.
- You are service minded and can prioritize the common good
- You are experienced in and enjoy teaching and supervision of bachelor and master students
Flexibility and self-motivation are desired skills at DTU. In addition, we expect you to be interested in collaboration and take personal responsibility for your work, and:
- You are motivated by both individual and team accomplishments
- You thrive on collaboration and teamwork
- You are focused on the process as well as the outcome
- You have a good sense of humor
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to:
- Research impact and experience, funding track record, and research vision
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Leadership potential and collaboration
- Communication skills
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
You can read more about the department at www.bioengineering.dtu.dk
Please submit your online application no later than 28 May 2019 (noon, local time).
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Teaching and research statement, with a focus on the “Assessment” bullets points listed above
- Documentation of previous teaching and research, as related to the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- List of publications
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder.