Research Scientist in microbiology for Microbial Screening department
Structured and innovative researcher with a passion for developing methods for high throughput strain isolation.
With ambitions to grow organically 8-10%, we constantly need to improve our ways of working. In R&D we are responsible for developing new products and processes for food cultures, animal-, human- and plant health. We are a company based on science and we aim to deliver cutting edge products. The Microbial Screening department within the Discovery organization in R&D is responsible for the culture collection, screening and phenotypic characterization of new strains. We aim at delivering high quality results, using robotized liquid handling platforms.
We use phenotypic characterization data to select leads for new product development. We are expanding our strain collection with Bacillus isolates for Plant Health activities and we want to develop high throughput Bacillus strain isolation methods.
As a scientist in the Microbial Screening department your main responsibility will be to develop robust and high throughput methods for isolation of microbes.
Work will include
- Developing methods for microbe isolation.
- Running microbe isolation and purification campaigns to enrich the existing culture collection with Bacillus strains for the Plant Health business area.
- Planning, executing and managing relevant project tasks in your field of expertise
- Active participation in idea maturation sessions
- Establishing and mediating collaborative efforts in the team, with stakeholders and potential external partners in your field of expertise
- Responsibility for the documentation and communication of data, communicating and discussing results with the team, manager and stakeholders
For this position we request a solid background in developing microbiological assays for microbe growth and isolation. We encourage self-driven candidates that are passionate about developing methods and tools to solve biological questions.
A PhD in Microbiology, Microbial Biotechnology, Biochemical Engineering or equivalent is mandatory.
In addition, you are/have
- Experience in the field of assay development for microbe growth and isolation
- Documented scientific excellence in the form of high-quality publication record
- Experience in doing research in multidisciplinary environments
- Talented, proactive and independent
- Innovative and enthusiastic towards new ideas
- Team oriented
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
The Microbial Screening department delivers bacterial strains to the Chr. Hansen value chain by combining modern phenotyping methods with automated high throughput screening. The unit consists of two teams: Assay Automation and Microbial Phenotyping. The Microbial Phenotyping team is responsible for expanding the culture collection with new microbes, using high throughput screening methods to phenotypically characterize new strains to define bacterial strains for new product development. As part of the Discovery organization in R&D we bridge academic research with product development by expanding the culture collection with new strains and relevant phenotypic descriptors. The position is in the Microbial Phenotyping team.
We offer a permanent position in a stimulating, international workplace in a professional organization focused on linking solid scientific research to business opportunities. In addition, we offer a good team with dedicated colleagues and modern research laboratories.
More information and application
If you have any questions for the position, please feel free to contact Gunnar Øregaard, Senior Manager Microbial Screening (phone: +45 5339 0156).
Deadline for applications is June 5th, 2019.
Read more about working for Chr. Hansen here.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder.