Research Scientist in Bioinformatics with a strong background in Biology
The Human Health Discovery Team within Human Health & Microbiome Innovation is looking for a Research Scientist in Bioinformatics with a strong understanding of microbiology and/or human biology.
The Human Health Division of Chr. Hansen produces probiotic bacteria to support and improve health. In the Discovery Team we cover the entire value chain from identifying new microbial candidates to performing in vitro screening assays, animal trials and clinical studies. As a Bioinformatician in the Discovery team, you will support the innovation portfolio as well as the commercial business by generating results for a variety of different projects.
Your role and responsibilities
- Screen bacterial genomes for genes / gene clusters required for specific properties (e.g. enzymes for degrading specific substrates or producing specific metabolites)
- Perform genome comparisons of bacteria to identify genomic and potential phenotypic differences among strains
- Analyze multiple -omics datasets from in vitro, animal and clinical trials and provide biological insights into bacterial-host interactions
- Support your colleagues by providing ad hoc bioinformatic and statistical analyses
- Interact internally with colleagues in diverse roles and externally with clients or at scientific conferences
Qualifications and competences
The ideal candidate has a PhD in Bioinformatics or a related discipline. It is essential that you have a strong understanding of biology and extensive knowledge within next generation sequencing analysis. Knowledge of probiotics and the human microbiome is an advantage. Experience with analyzing clinical data is desirable.
- Demonstrated experience using operating systems and bioinformatics tools, including Linux and R-based programs, is essential. Expert command in at least one programming language (perl, python, R, etc.) and basic command of several programming languages.
- Knowledge of statistics is required.
- Willingness to take on new tasks and learn new methods.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong skills in visualizing and presenting results to both scientists who are not bioinformaticians and non-scientists (for example colleagues and customers in business and marketing roles).
- Desire to work in a team and ability to engage with a variety of people.
- Excellent spoken and written English skills.
You will join an international team of dedicated and diverse colleagues in Human Health Discovery consisting of 4 scientists, 2 lab technicians, 1 PostDoc and 2 PhD students. You will be the only bioinformatician in a team of molecular and human biologists; therefore, it is necessary that you enjoy collaborating with experimental biologists and thrive in the role of a bioinformatics expert.
However, there will be opportunities to collaborate with other bioinformaticians in neighboring departments at Chr. Hansen. You will be based in Hørsholm (near Copenhagen) and will report to the Discovery Department Manager. If you have any questions related to this position, please feel free to contact Senior Manager Adam Baker at e-mail: email@example.com.
The application deadline is February 22, 2019. To apply for this role, please submit your CV with a cover letter by clicking the link "Ansøg".
Read more about a career at Chr. Hansen here
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder.