DTU Compute’s Section for Statistics and Data Analysis, invites applications for an appointment as an Associate or Assistant Professor within Statistics and Data Analysis. The position is available from June 1, 2019 or according to mutual agreement.
Our section is dedicated to methodological development and applied research within the field of statistics and data analysis on data from all the focus areas of our department: Big Data and data science; Smart Manufacturing; Smart and Secure Societies; the Life Sciences.
With our close connections to other DTU Compute research sections such as Cognitive Systems, Image Analysis and Dynamical Systems, the section stands as a dynamic and substantial player both locally in the Danish statistics arena and internationally.
The aim of the new position is to expand the Departments teaching and research in statistics and data analysis especially with respect to Big Data. The vision of the Section for Statistics and Data Analysis is to constantly cover as broad a selection of competencies as possible to be able to engage broadly in collaborations within the strategic research areas of DTU. You therefore have excellent collaborative skills both within research and teaching. Here special emphasis on the new Bachelor study line: “Artificial Intelligence and Data” and introductory statistics is contemplated.
Responsibilities and tasks
You will have the possibility to actively take part in the promotion, development of and research in contemporary statistical methods and theory bordering to methods in machine learning and artificial intelligence. You are able to document a strong research potential and profile. Furthermore, you will be invited to participate in one or more existing projects as well as actively applying for funding for new research projects of your own.
You value visionary and meaningful communication and you are motivated by delivering engaging teaching at all levels: bachelor-, master- and PhD as well as continuing education. You also have a natural feel for dissemination of research results at all levels. Currently the section is strongly involved in a majority of the teaching of statistics at an introductory level at DTU, in which you will be invited to take part.
The section has an important role in research based consultancy and knowledge transfer to other departments at DTU and also externally. Again, your collaborative and communicative skills are crucial.
Other tasks of the position include but are not limited to exchanging knowledge with society, including participation in the public debate, research management, guidance and supervision of assistant professors and researchers, and some academic assessment work.
We envision the research position will help strengthen and expand the Section’s research.
Your research could therefor include e.g.:
- Statistical learning methods and Big Data
- Statistical computing, machine learning and artificial intelligence
- Industrial statistics
- Engineering oriented statistics and probability
- Sensometrics and Chemometrics
You enjoy participating in departmental teaching at all levels so you value visionary and meaningful communication. The teaching will cover Bachelor-, Master- and PhD-level courses. Bachelor courses are taught in Danish, other courses in English. For international candidates, DTU can provide Danish language courses, with the purpose of being able to teach in Danish within the first two-three years.
As an assistant professor your tasks will include research-based teaching, research (including publication/scientific dissemination duties), scientific advice, and innovation. The distribution between the various duties may vary periodically, but a balance must be struck such that the assistant professor is able to develop in both research and teaching. The Section is keen to ensure that an assistant professor is given supervision and guidance, including education in university teaching.
As an associate professor your tasks will include research, research-based teaching (with associated examination duties), scientific advice, and innovation. The distribution between the various tasks may vary and will be planned in collaboration with the employee’s Head of Section. The qualification requirements for the post of associate professor correspond to the level that is achievable through employment as an assistant professor.
You thrive in a knowledge sharing environment where cross functionality and cooperation between colleagues are highly valuated. Building relations within the department and with colleagues in other departments comes natural to you.
Candidates for an
- Assistant Professorship must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent)
- Associate Professorship must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent), as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding an Assistant Professorship and documented didactic/pedagogic training
For both positions, the key qualification requirements are as follows:
- You have convincing documented scientific production/publication and research potential to become an international leader in your field.
- You enjoy teaching and interacting with students at all levels.
- You have the ability and desire to contribute to the Section’s national and international collaborative efforts.
- You share our desire to disseminate research results and research-based innovation in society.
- You have a positive attitude and find it easy and natural to interact with your colleagues.
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Research impact and experience, funding track record, and research vision
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Leadership potential and collaboration
- Communication skills
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
The assistant professor position is a permanent entry-level faculty position. After a maximum of 4 years, an assistant professor can be promoted to an associate professor position after assessment. More information can be found here: Career paths at DTU.
You can read more about DTU Compute and the involved research sections on www.compute.dtu.dk.
Please submit your online application no later than 17 May 2019 (23:59 local time). Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Ansøg", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Teaching and research statement, with a focus on the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- Documentation of previous teaching and research, as related to the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- List of publications (applicants applying for the position as associate professor should indicate scientific highlights)
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
In the field “Please indicate which position you are applying for”, please indicate whether you are applying for the position as Associate or Assistant Professor.
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder.