DTU Bioengineering at the Technical University of Denmark invites applications for a position as Associate Professor in Fungal Physiology and Fermentation.
This position will be placed in the Section of Synthetic Biology. The section applies engineering strategies to cell factories, and spans research within gene and genome editing, synthetic biology, regulation engineering, protein production, expression and discovery of bioactive compounds across cell factories, in particular yeast, filamentous fungi, plant cells and mammalian cells, but will expand into bacterial systems with this program. The section has a total staff of approx. 35, of which 7 is faculty.
Responsibilities and tasks
Make a significant contribution to teaching graduate and undergraduate courses in Biotechnology, in particular Fermentation Technology and the physiological and quantitative aspects of monitoring fungal (incl. yeast) submerged cultivations, cell factory development and stress responses. You will also, as part of a larger educational team, be instrumental in contributing to the new educational track within Fermentation-based BioManufacturing covering MSc, PhD and lifelong learning.
The candidate is expected to build and lead a research group in the above described research field, managing staff and developing research and innovation activities. The ability to ensure external funding, either as main applicant or co-applicant, for the research activities and active contribution to the development of innovation activities, through patents and through collaboration with biotech companies is expected to be an integrated part of the position.
Additionally, as part of the position responsibilities you will be heading the Fermentation Core at the Bioengineering department, comprising 60 bioreactors up to 10 liter scale, an MS-off-gas analyzer and a robotic system for automated small scale cultivations. The candidate will be expected to contribute to the development of high throughput capabilities for the Fermentation Core.
Finally, the candidate is expected to have good collaborative skills, being able to collaborate with research groups both internally at the department, across departments at DTU, with national and international research groups and with industry.
- Hold a PhD degree (or equivalent) as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding an Assistant Professorship
- Have received didactic/pedagogic training
Furthermore the successful candidate should document experience within several of the following areas:
- Industrially relevant fungal strains, such as Saccharomyces and/or Aspergillus, as well as research experience with non-conventional yeasts
- Cell factory engineering/genetic engineering in yeast and/or fungi
- Recombinant protein production (therapeutic proteins and/or industrially relevant enzymes)
- Microbial quantitative biology and physiology
- Global expression analysis (transcriptomics / proteomics) and stress responses related to cell factory design
- Lab-scale bioreactor design and fermentation technology
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to:
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Research impact and experience, funding track record, and research vision
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Leadership potential and collaboration
- Communication skills
Consideration will also be given to:
- Previous experience with management of research infrastructures
- Teaching experience within fermentation technology
- A good industrial network within the research field
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here
Further information may be obtained from head of department Bjarke Bak Christensen, +45 3066 4233.
You can read more about the department at www.bioengineering.dtu.dk ;
Please submit your online application no later than 1 March 2019. Apply via the "Ansøg" link.
To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form.
The following must be attached in English:
- Application (cover letter)
- Teaching and research statement, with a focus on the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- Documentation of previous teaching and research, as related to the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- List of publications
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder.